Choosing a domain name for an online store, information or entertainment site, or forany business is a serious step. This name will accompany your case throughout the entire distance of work. The decision to change it later threatens with serious inconvenience. Internet promotion will have to start almost from the very beginning.
Therefore, it is better not to waste a precious resource, which is always in short supply – time, but to immediately approach the issue with understanding.
They say the name of the site should be like a shot – short and stuck in your head.
Should it? Let’s see if this is so or not: which domain to choose, so that later you will not regret it.
The influence of the domain on the promotion of the resource
Different sources provide conflicting information, but all agree on one thing. Practice confirms the same.
If you include a keyword in the domain name, the site has advantages for search robots. True, only if it is there alone, and not a whole key request, do you risk falling into the spam category.
Search algorithms are being improved. Until 2012, the keyword in the name of the site could really raise it to the top of the search results, then the Google Exact Match Domain algorithm was updated, and now the short memorable address is in no way inferior to the domain with the key in the name. Unique high-quality content and page optimization are much more important.
Selling firewood? Choosing a domain with an exact match “drova.ua” can bring the site to the first page of search results, since the niche is quite narrow.
At the same time, if you enter the word “socket” into the search, a supermarket will pop up. Look for an electrically controlled smart socket on the second or third page. Check if this is actually the case.
And yet, a simple and short domain name gives an advantage over a nice but long address. If someone remembers your site out loud, the address will be remembered by the interlocutor, and it will be easy to find it, if desired.
Output. A short, friendly domain name is as important as the content on the site. Search robots process information in aggregate, plus – the site is easy to remember and find.
Domain name structure
DNS (Domain Name System) helps turn human-readable names into unique addresses on the Internet by associating them with IP addresses. Without a networked domain name system, we would have to memorize many numbers for each resource.
A domain name consists of several domains arranged in a hierarchy.
For example, in archive.example.org, org is the first level domain, example is the second level, and archive is the third.
The first level domain indicates the country or subject of the site. The second-level domain displays the brand name or the essence of the resource. The third level is a subdomain, that is, a user can follow a link to a specific page of the site. For example, if the address is set to the archive.example.org subdomain, the visitor will open a page with archived files.
The home page can be accessed through the root domain, for example example.org, or through the “www” site – www.example.org.
Domain zones of a site, like a person’s patronymic, help to identify him. If this is Hashim ibn Abdullah, then he has Arabic roots; if the middle name sounds like Todorov – not far from Bulgaria.
Us, uk, ua, ru, kz – it becomes clear where the service works. American, Ukrainian, Kazakh platforms and so on.
When the algorithm processes a search query, such an anchor gives an advantage over sites registered in a different region.
By the way, the first-level domains listed above also refer to domain zones, but indicate the specifics of the site.
Use Cyrillic or Latin
The development of domain addresses in Cyrillic began in 2010. It’s hard to say that they have gained a lot of popularity in 10 years, and of course there are reasons for this.
Domain zones are written in Cyrillic as follows: .ukr, .bel, .рф,. Rus,. Srb. The link looks like this: MySite.ukr.
Let’s just give the pros and cons of using Cyrillic domain names.
Why a Cyrillic Internet address is good:
- Easy to remember and reproduce.
- A nice looking link if you place it on a billboard, landing page or in a commercial.
- Huge selection of domain names. Much more than free zones in the Latin alphabet.
- Finding a domain on the Internet is much easier, knowing its exact spelling – the algorithm searches for sites by key phrases and words.
But the owners of sites with a name in Russian will face inevitable difficulties:
- There are problems with copying the link in the browser. This is due to the incompatibility of the Cyrillic alphabet with the Unicode encoding. Punycode was developed to solve the problem . The link example-e.g. ukr after decoding will be perceived badly: xn —- 8sbncldyegpgfded.xn – j1amh.
- Many technical optimization settings for sites do not understand the Russian font, the same robots.txt. Punycode conversion required. The webmaster has to work on optimization much longer – every link must be checked on the site, since they are displayed in the Punycode system, and it is impossible to understand anything from the name.
- Difficulties with placing a link on many message boards and directories on the Internet: it gives an “invalid url” error. After translating Russian regions into Punycode, then the page address is transferred in Unicode encoding, and the domain name becomes very long. Many services have a limit on the number of characters in a link, which means the services will not be available.
- The @ symbol is only in the Latin alphabet, so you cannot create a mailbox of the same name, the same corporate mail. Punycode will turn it into a set of characters that are unrealistic to remember.
- The site will be inaccessible to foreigners, it can be found only if there is a Russian layout. Although, creating a Cyrillic address, the owner initially has no intentions of international distribution.
Surely, after some time the disadvantages of Cyrillic addresses will become much less, but so far.
One tip. Even when promoting a Latin domain, it is worth booking your trademark in Cyrillic as well. So you will not be afraid of cybersquatters – people who register the best domain names or domain names containing the name of someone else’s brand, and then resell them, or use them for fraudulent purposes.
How to choose the right domain?
If you plan to work in the territory of one country, a first-level domain indicating a specific region is higher in the search results than a resource of another state. In Ukraine, .ua will be in the top, in Russia – .ru, in the European Union – .eu.
If the company operates around the world, choose a thematic area. If it’s a travel agency – www.example.travel.
A top level domain (TLD) can tell you the following about a site:
- com – commercial projects;
- gov – government agencies;
- edu – educational institutions;
- net – network organizations;
- org – non-commercial projects;
- int – international organizations;
- info – mass media, libraries, informational projects;
- biz – business projects;
- pro – sites of professionals in their field;
- aero – sites of companies and people directly related to aviation;
- museum – exhibitions, archives and, in fact, museums;
- coop – corporations with joint capital.
A complete list of registered first-level domains is available on the website of the IANA organization that oversees their allocation.
Tips for Choosing the Most Effective Domain Name
If the site name consists of two or more words, SEO experts do not recommend using hyphens and numbers. There is a great chance that, due to additional characters, the user will type the name incorrectly in the search – this is a minus of a potential client, the effectiveness of the link decreases.
When numbers are in a brand name, it’s another matter. Introduce the 24-hour help desk “Answer24”. The domain name otvet24.ua is a great option.
Ideally, if written in one word. That is, exampleforexample.org. Or, in short, like VKontakte: vk.com, in our case – exfex.org.
Of course, there are exceptions when word splitting should not be avoided. If the continuous spelling changes the essence of the name, or allows for an ambiguous interpretation, the hyphen is necessary. The pen-island.com store, without a space, can cause associations with the user who are not at all with writing accessories.
You should not use letters in the name that are denoted by several characters in the Latin alphabet. Let’s say the letter “u” looks like “shch”, and the letter “i” can be “ya”, “ja” or even “ia”. The same applies to words that can be written in different ways: “bad” or “bed”, the number 4 instead of “for”.
The simpler the better – as you hear, you write, no options. An exception can be made for registering a brand if there is no escape from these letters and numbers in its name. The search engine will find it, even if it is misspelled.
Try to differentiate your domain name from the competition as much as possible. If the uniqueness consists only in the presence of a hyphen or the difference in transliteration of the same word, this is a reason to think about a different name.
It happens that the brand name is too long, it is not the best option to use it in the domain name, and it also fails. Then you need to come up with a name that will exactly match the main direction of the site. What activity is being developed by the resource? What is your main product?
History of previous domain registrations
You may not be able to choose a name for a site that you want – there are millions of sites, domains are occupied. Often you have to buy a free domain name in the right category on services.
Caution! Together with an interesting name, problems can be acquired.
The domain could have had an owner before you, and more than one. This means that the site has a past that can negatively affect its promotion.
If the site had prohibited content, it could fall under filters, which can be very difficult to get it out of. When you want to follow a link from social networks, suddenly a warning pops up that the resource is unsafe, and they do not allow you to visit it – this is an example of such a blocking.
It might be ok, but worth checking out. Here are some ways:
- Whois Service. Shows general information: domain owner, registrar contacts, if the admin has hidden his data, registration date.
- Internet archive. The service will help you see how the site has changed over time: content, structure and design.
- Serpstat. Here you can find out how popular the site is – what position it occupied in search engines for the last six months.
- Linkpad. Analyzes internal, inbound and outbound resource links. You can see which pages were on it and understand the direction of the site – blog, entertainment or news portal.
Finally, fill in the domain name in a search engine and see the results.
Important. A domain with a good reputation can significantly speed up the development of a project.
As one famous book captain used to say: “As you name the ship, so it will float.” We hope this article will help you make the right choice.