SiteGround is popular hosting recommended for WordPress, Joomla and Drupal sites. It has its own data centers in Europe, Asia and America, equipped with the latest hardware to ensure high performance. The company started working in 2004 with one employee and over the years has developed into one of the market leaders with 800,000 domain addresses worldwide.
Before deciding to buy hosting on SiteGround, you need to evaluate its advantages and disadvantages. Let’s make a reservation right away that there are no ideal services – you can only find an offer that will be optimal for solving a specific problem.
Pros and Cons of SiteGround:
- Rich functionality and useful integrations.
- High speed and performance, which are also achieved through good optimization and the use of SSD-drives.
- Excellent technical support that works 24/7.
- Free CDN access and SSL connection.
- Developed a network of data centers with servers located in several countries on three continents.
SiteGround also has its drawbacks. Nothing critical, but the disadvantages may be so significant that you will have to move to another hosting for some projects and to avoid such problems, it is better to find out about SiteGround’s weaknesses right away:
- Non-transparency of expenses when billed monthly. The service charges an additional $14.95 for each invoice. Users will find out about this only after entering their bank card details. Fortunately, the money can be returned within 30 days after payment. This is how the company encourages customers to purchase long-term subscriptions – for a year or more.
- Limited storage. Even when buying the most expensive plan on shared or cloud hosting, the webmaster receives a strictly defined amount of disk space.
- Developer-oriented. Many of the features offered on tariff plans do not have much appeal to a wide audience. At the same time, it lacks just those features that ordinary users use when creating websites – for example, free access to advertising on Facebook, Google AdWords, premium WordPress themes.
In principle, the listed disadvantages may not affect hosting in any way – you need to choose a tariff with a large amount of storage and pay for it for an extended period.
Functionality With SiteGround Hosting
SiteGround offers a set of features that should be appreciated by both casual users and professional developers. The hosting provider creates daily backups on its own, so if your backups are lost, you can use alternative saves.
At higher tariffs, free transfer of projects from other hosting services is available, as well as connection to Cloudflare CDN is available – this allows you to increase the speed of page loading by caching content on servers near the place where a request from site visitors is sent.
SiteGround is focused on supporting popular CMS. Hosting does not offer any obscure (often frankly mythical) functions, but only optimizes standard tools so that the engines’ performance increases. For example, all plans have dedicated WordPress hosting, where everything is geared towards increasing speed, improving security and support. The engine itself and plugins are updated automatically, which makes life much easier for webmasters.
SiteGround enables projects to grow without quality loss. You can start with shared hosting at the StartUp plan and eventually get to a dedicated server if you need it to keep your site running smoothly.
Performance of SiteGround Hosting: Is it Good Enough?
When studying hosting performance, we first of all pay attention to website loading speed and uptime.
SiteGround says that the company is always one of the first to use acceleration technologies, be it a fresh software solution, innovative architecture, or new hardware. This list includes:
- Storage of files and databases on SSD-drives.
- The NGINX web server and its caching engine speed up the loading of static and dynamic site content.
- Free connection to Cloudflare CDN, which allows faster delivery of content to visitors by distributing it across multiple data centers in different regions.
- Using the new network protocol HTTP/2 and PHP7.
SiteGround’s independent research has shown that hosting delivers excellent performance numbers. One of the reviews provides data on measurements of site loading speed over 10 months. Average time – 714 ms, while on another hosting, the indicator did not fall below 890 ms. The minimum value for a site on SiteGround is 680 ms, the maximum is 737 ms.
A download speed test was conducted in another study, taking into account traffic up to 100 users. A slight increase in download time was only noticed on 50 visitors, but the download speed remained stable even as new users were added.
The uptime is also very high, at 99.9%. This indicator was achieved mainly due to the use of our technological solutions:
- The platform is built based on Linux containers, ensuring stability even with massive bursts of traffic.
- Customer accounts are isolated from each other.
- The built-in monitoring system checks the servers every half second and eliminates errors without human intervention.
Long-term tests (8 and 10 months) show the same results – 99.99% uptime at a standard of 99.94%. In 2018, only 20 outages were recorded on the hosting, while the number of other popular sites can be in the hundreds or even thousands.
Are you Secured With SiteGround Hosting?
Due to the increase in the number of cyberattacks, Google has changed its ranking algorithms in favor of secure and encrypted sites. SiteGround offers a free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate installation that solves security and search engine optimization issues.
The hosting continuously monitors CMS WordPress’s vulnerabilities, the free installation offered on all tariff plans. In addition to the standard tools, the webmaster can add free add-ons for anti-spam and IP blocking.
To ensure customer security, SiteGround offers technology to isolate customer accounts from each other. This means that if one profile is hacked, it will not affect other hosting users.
Technical support of SiteGround: Are they Quick Enough?
SiteGround pays special attention to customer service. In the overwhelming majority of user reviews, technical support, which works around the clock, is noted as an advantage of hosting. For communication, a phone call, online chat, and e-mail are available with sending a request through tickets. Users who prefer to fix errors on their own will find a knowledge base on the hosting site with answers to frequently asked questions.
SiteGround’s technical support employs over 200 professionals. Such a state allows us to respond to customers at any time of the day, regardless of the time zone promptly. Support is provided in three languages: English, Spanish, and Italian.
Annually, the official results of the customer survey are published on the hosting site. Satisfaction rates are reported to be over 96%.
Price policy of SiteGround: Is it Affordable?
The cost of the tariff depends on the chosen type of hosting. The most inexpensive solution is shared hosting. It is suitable for sites with low traffic and involves sharing server space with other projects. Shared hosting is available in the form of three tariffs:
- StartUp – one site, 10 GB of web space, about 10,000 visitors per month for $6.99 per month.
- GrowBig – Unlimited Sites, 20 GB of web space, about 25,000 visitors per month for $9.99 per month.
- GoGeek – Unlimited sites, 40 GB of web space, about 100,000 visitors per month for $14.99 per month.
All plans have a free builder, SSL and HTTPS, CDN access to increase productivity, and 24/7 support. The company offers similar conditions within the WordPress Hosting and WooCommerce Hosting programs.
The only difference is the addition of accessibility features like free installing, moving, and updating WordPress.
Growing projects and popular blogs will require cloud hosting. It is a shared hosting upgrade that uses multiple servers in a cloud architecture. SiteGround offers four plans:
- Entry – 3 CPU cores, 6 GB storage, 40 GB SSD storage for $80 per month.
- Business – 4 processor cores, 8 GB memory, 60 GB SSD storage for $120 per month.
- Business Plus – 5 processor cores, 10 GB storage, 80 GB SSD storage for $160 per month.
- Super Power – 9 CPU cores, 12 GB storage, 120 GB SSD storage for $240 per month.
The most powerful and expensive offering is a dedicated server. The price starts at $229 per month and varies depending on the data center’s location: in Europe and the USA, plans are cheaper. In Asia, it’s more expensive. If you need a tariff plan for large enterprises, sites with high traffic, and complex server requirements, then you can select it specifically within the framework of the Enterprise Hosting program. The cost is calculated individually for each project.
Should I really go for SiteGround Hosting?
SiteGround is a hosting service with excellent performance and strong technical support available 24/7. The presence of our own data centers on three continents, as well as the possibility of free connection to the CDN, guarantees publishers a high speed of content delivery to visitors. This is one of the best platforms for creating international projects.
The hosting is recommended by the official communities of WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal. The possibilities offered by the different SiteGround plans are suitable for casual users and professional developers. The only serious drawback of the service is hidden payments with a monthly payment. However, it can be fixed by purchasing a long term subscription. Considering the merits of hosting, this would be a good investment.